Sunday, October 13, 2013

One Quarter Down, Three to Go ...

On this, the Sunday before returning to work after a week break, I am taking a moment to reflect on my vision, the reason I started this blog. Am I the teacher I want to be? 

The answer is no, I'm DP, developing proficiency. Implementing a new curriculum with the Common Core standards was a huge bear on my pathway.  The Common Core expected them to have mastered a lot of skills last year, that we didn't expect them to have mastered until the end of this year. That doesn't mean we haven't been doing our jobs, and it definitely doesn't mean the CC are better than our current standards. It just means the standards are higher, for better or worse. (That is a topic for another blog piece).

So, because I perceived that the students are way behind where they "should" be, I was in panic mode trying to catch them up. It was always like this. The Hawaii standards were not easy. It was always about getting the students to meet standards, and they didn't all meet them. All along from kindergarten up to us in 5th grade, you have students at all levels. There are a few who do fine, who meet standards, who go on to middle school and beyond, and do well. Because of our focus on standards, they do fine. Even the average students eventually catch up, with effort. The struggle was always on the ones who are well below the standards. And now, it is even more difficult. I am trying to cram into them learning in one quarter that used to take the whole year. And it is not possible. The only way cramming is successful is if everyone - teacher, parents, student - participates in the cramming. And they don't. 

Here is the dilemma: There is more content to learn because of the higher standards. The higher standards are pretty much rote learning, despite what the PR sell is on how the CC is about critical thinking and problem-solving.  I want to be the Teacher that makes learning engaging, relevant, and meaningful. Can there be a synthesis? A compromise? 

I think if I stick religiously with the curriculum materials that we are using, then I will never be the Teacher I Want to Be. I need to be able to use the parts that will be the most useful, and then let the rest go. I need to look at what works in my classroom that most takes kids from where they are - to get to the next level. I need to identify the math content that is the most challenging and impactful, and finds ways to break it down so that all of my students can find their entry point from which to proceed. I need to use science as the venue for critical thinking and problem-solving. I need to have a balance between math practice and skill-building and science. 

So, I have, on paper (digital), come up with a plan to do this. More differentiated projects and structures for skill-building. More science to develop those 21st century skills - collaboration, communication, critical thinking and problem-solving. Am I full of it, am I blowing air? Well, change starts with an idea, becomes developed with a plan, then it's a matter of making it a reality. Step by step. Idea by idea, plan by plan. 

I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment